Thursday 6 March 2008

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

Strange days indeed.

I'm not actually much of a John Lennon fan, but sometimes a song just pops into your head and seems to say it all.

I am still in the office at 8pm, waiting for a colleague so that we can drink beer, eat pizza and chat about the future of this company.

The MD was dismissed today. It seems that a number of other people knew it was coming as well as me. I was in the office early this morning to print a load of the legal documents ready for the final act. I hate having secrets like that - it's really hard to treat someone the same when he's your boss and you know the axe is hanging and he can't see it...

But then not as hard as being the one that gets the chop.

My chat with the CEO was good but non-specific about future opportunities. He was generally full of compliments and we agreed that we would get to know each other a bit over the coming weeks and see what transpires. To that end, I'm back in the UK next Friday for lunch, by which time I have to make my mind up if I want to sh1t or get off the pot and throw my hat in the ring for the dead man's shoes.

I will also have decided how many cliches too many were involved in that last sentence...

Most peculiar Mama.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Morning Moose, in my humble opinion, you can never have too many cliches in a sentence. Particularly not ones so well crafted.

Congratulations Dancerjen, that is so exciting for you and MrD. Enjoy every second of it! Have a good first day at work! :o)

Jo, nice to hear from you. Hope you are managing ok, your hormones will still be all over the place from pregnancy alone, never mind everything else you are dealing with. Not sure if you are allowed to take herbal medication with whatever else you may be taking, but if you can. I can really recommend Chammomile flower tablets. I took them a few months after the mancub was born, for a few months and it really helped to balance my 'up and down' out. You can probably get them from most herbal shops but if you struggle to find them, i am going to St Ives next week and got them from a farm shop there - id be happy to buy some and pop them in the post to you if you think it would help.

Am off to spend a day invigilating an exhibition today. There is no wi-fi, no plugs for my laptop battery and as its the last day of the exhibition, i bet there is hardly any visitors either. On the up side, we are having an office clear out today and i shall be out of the way! Every cloud and all that.

see you all soon.
xx

Anonymous said...

Moose, it can't be easy to see someone so senior being dismissed. Things must have been pretty bad for that to happen, I guess. And I assume the guy did have some idea of what was about to happen. You have some serious thinking to do in the next few days, so good luck, and go with your gut instinct! Incidentally, I AM a John Lennon fan - every time I hear Imagine, I really could cry!

Jo - just great to hear from you. You must have been having such a tough time of it recently - pet lamb! Poor wee George and poor wee you - very exhausting. And your underactive thyroid must be making you feel knackered - I hope you are getting plenty of help from your loved ones! We are missing you Jo, but it's lovely to know you are lurking and staying up to date!

This morning's delight is that I have conjunctivitis in my right eye. I used to suffer from this fairly regularly when I was younger, but it's been years since I had conjunctivitis! Really sore, really itchy. I am just waiting for my colleague to come in at 9.30 and then I'll head out to Boots. Oooh, I hate putting anything in my eyes!!

Hope everyone else is o.k. Dancerjen, have a great first day at work!

C xx

Anonymous said...

Moose - frankly that was an inspired choice to start ARF. I cranked up the volume in my car and sang my heart out. Whoa, whoa, whoahoa sweet child o mine!! Yeah yeah yeah.
Thanks to you - Im ready for the weekend.

CUE Air Guitar.

xx

jollygit said...

Gingembre - I can't post on CLP's blog so I'm hoping you catch up with us over here soon. I don't know what to say except that my heart goes out to you, your brave daughter, and to ALL those left behind. Sending you a huge {{{hug}}} because I can and you know that the blog and bloggers are here for you xx

jollygit xx

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Moose on being first on ARF - what a way to finish an eventful week. Happy birthday to the Mooselet as well.