Friday 1 February 2008

Ich bin ein Frankfurter

Sorry to leave you all hanging.

What a strange week. On Wednesday they told me they'd given the job to someone else and the next day they offered me a different job. Same money, same 3 month deal, same location...just a more interesting role, better suited to me and leading my CV somewhere far more interesting.

I start on Tuesday!

But seriously, which would you rather be, a Hamburger, a Frankfurter or a Berliner?

Translation: Hamburger = minced cow in a sesame seed bun (other types of bun are available), Frankfurter = minced pork in a sausage or Berliner = a doughnut.

Time to use my classic jaw-dropping play on words again, methinks. You see, Frankfurt is in the state of Hessen. And plastic in German is Kunststoff. When you say something is 'plasticky' or artificial the word is 'kunstlich'. So I ask people: Does that mean that something from Hessen is 'hesslich'? 'Haesslich', by the way (which is pronunciated the same as hesslich would be in some parts of Germany and pronunciated 'expresso' in other parts) actually means ugly. The real word for something from Hessen is 'hessisch'...

Laugh? Not if you're hessisch...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just popped in to see how everything was going and just had to say a huge congratulations to you Moose on your new job as a hesslicher Frankfurter!

Hope everyone ok and safe in this awful weather. Stay tucked up in the warm indoors is what I'd advise!

Have a good weekend one and all!

Amanda x

jollygit said...

Moose - many, many congratulations to you on the new job!!!! Way to go, my friend!

Hoping the weather is being kind to everyone.

jollygit xx

lyndyloo said...

Ich bin ein freezinkolderwaller!

Anonymous said...

Howja do
I'm pleastameechoo
I see you've met my
Faithfull handyman

etc etc

I'd rather have a Frankenfurter than a vorsprung dorch oojamaflick but where ever I lay my onions, that's my warm daschund.

Or similar.

Congratulations dear Moose...and the very best of luck for tomorrow!
love
hazel
x

Anonymous said...

Moose,

Wonderful to hear your news! Good luck - it's really quite exciting for you!

C xx