Monday 10 September 2007

Little things, little minds...

It may just be a function of not working at the moment, but I do feel obliged to celebrate successes, however small...

Today's is my latest achievements in my triathlon training schedule. I made up the schedule myself with no particular event in mind yet (the only one left in this season is in 3 weeks time and I don't feel that's quite enough time to prepare). The winter will be focussed on getting rid of more weight and on building up a bit of stamina in each of the three events, so that I can realistically enter events in the spring and not show myself up too much.

So, the plan is as follows: Think of it as a grid with 13 different levels of training on one side and 7 graded training sessions for each level (Swim only, Bike only, Run only, Bike/Swim, Bike/Run, Run/Swim and Triathlon). The entire plan and accompanying article is being constructed ready for sale to fitness magazines...so please don't steal it.
The 13 levels build from Level 1: 2 minutes/lengths fast then 1 minute/length slow, repeated 7 times, up to Level 13: 50 minutes/lengths fast. For swimming the fast means front crawl and the slow means breaststroke (or froggy legs as we have to call it to avoid any unwanted discussions on the female anatomy). For the bike section fast is at 100 revolutions per minute and slow is 90 (I still have to convert this into realistic road speeds for real outside-the-gym training). For the run, fast is running at 10 kmh (OK for any serious runners out there that's more like jogging, but you try carrying 17 stones any faster!) and slow means walking at 6.5 kmh. The accompanying i-pod playlists will also be made available as part of the article for sale...cycling equates directly at 100/90 beats per minute, running is 140 bpm and walking 120. My i-pod isn't waterproof.

I'm currently on level 2: 4 minutes/lengths fast then 2 minutes/lengths slow, repeated 5 times.
Last week I did the 3 single element sessions of Swim, Bike and Run only. This morning was the turn of the first double session - Bike/Swim. After a few minutes warming up on the bike I launched into the 30 minute programme and finished it still feeling relatively fresh. In the pool I swam the 30 lengths continuously with no stopping for a sneaky breather. I think that's the farthest I've managed to swim in one go for many, many years...AND I did all 20 of the front crawl lengths.

So now I'm off to the smoke for a job interview/discussion...although with all this training to do and the article to write, I don't think I've got time to do a real job...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting training programme you have there, my dear Moose! Good luck with completing it and maintaining that level of phys fitness.

Had a great time being Uncle Dissing at the weekend, had a fantastic time playing cricket, getting hugged, talking early teen girl talk, and late single figure boy talk with my niece and nephew. Uncle's get the best of both worlds, they get the good things to do and talk about and then when little 'uns get tired, we walk away before things get too fractious.

I don't get enough time to spend with them though!

DD out

PS It's Rock n roll, it's rock n rock n roll!

Anonymous said...

Moose! What a schedule! I am very impressed to say the least. I was actually terribly pleased with myself that I had an extra couple of trips upstairs this morning to get some things I had forgotten before leaving the house!

You are sounding really happy and in great form, which is all good.

Long afternoon ahead. The girl I work with has just had to go home due to the most horrendous hangover ever. Apparently she unexpectedly had guests yesterday who stayed until 5am today! Normally I would say "self inflicted, just get on with it" but she really does look like a ghost and was in tears when she left! The damage we inflict on ourselves!!

C xx

Anonymous said...

Moose - all sounds very organised, I am impressed. Good luck with the training, job discussions and everything. Your life sounds very full at the moment.
With reference to your previous post I will e-mail you a bike warning that I recently received!

Uncle Dissing - well done on being a top uncle - your niece and nephew are very lucky to have a lovely uncle like you sound!

I too am trying my best at fitness and carbon footprint reduction! Since the return to school I am trying to walk the mile to school with the boys in the morning, then catch 2 buses to work, and then 2 buses home - 3 days a week. Near impossible to do it on Mondays (have to bring catering supplies for the workmates - and I will not walk a mile carrying the shopping!) and Fridays (have to be in prompt for tape collections). I am going to keep it up as long as I can although my poorly achilles has played hell this weekend. I will persevere though.

Very quiet here today - hope everyone ok.

Take care. A x

jollygit said...

Blimey Moose, I had to have a lie down after reading about your training programme .....

HL is back at work but her pooter is now poorly, so she's unable to blog, but says 'hi'.

I've just had to deal with over 50 students enrolling and am now off to lie down in a darkened room .... otherwise, all is well

jollygit xx

Anonymous said...

How goes it? Boy oh boy is the blog quiet these days!

Jo: no word from you for a couple of days - is this because you are catching up on your missed episodes of Columbo, whilst peeling some grapes? I hope so!

Hazel - missing you so much. Hope you are o.k. and that your computer starts behaving itself soon!

To everyone else - just popping in to say hi. Hope you are all o.k.

C xx