Monday 1 October 2007

What a day!

I feel like I've gone through the wringer and reached the heights today.


It all started a little strangely, getting up just after 6 to head for the gym before my meeting up in London re a job. I did my Swim only session of 12 minutes crawl and 3 minutes breaststroke, 2 reps, 30 lengths in total. I was feeling good about being able to do the 12 lengths crawl without stopping - a real breakthrough for me in my swimming.


Off I then went to London, had a good meeting and things look very positive for a start in December/January, doing something I am good at but is still a challenge and interesting for me. For decent money.


I then headed for a well known sandwich chain, got myself a green tea, sat down in the corner with my laptop and attacked my daily diary (catching up on a couple of weeks with no comments!) and then my short story. Nearly three hours later (thanks to my new laptop battery which has massively increased my flexible working ability) I shut down having got to 3,100 words and then trimming it down to 2,900. Another 400 cuts to go. The thing that made me feel like I'd been through the wringer though, is that to write it I had to get inside the head of my protagonist, who of course is a rapist and murderer. Boy that made me feel strange. Let me just, for the record, reiterate that this really is a work of pure fiction!!!


I jumped on a bus to avoid the pouring rain back to Kings Cross. Bought a cornish pasty as a treat...and stopped eating about two thirds of the way through and threw the rest away. What on earth was I doing? OK, the right thing because I'd had enough, but seriously, throwing away a pasty?


Got back to the car and decided to head back to the gym. The idea was to catch up on my alternative triathlon (sauna, steam room and jacuzzi) that I didn't have time for this morning. I went into the steam room for about 10 minutes and then the strangest thing happened. I thought to myself 'Now why don't I get in the pool and have another swim?'

Great idea, so I got in and thought. 'I know, on the back of my success this morning I'll just swim crawl until I can't do any more.' I guessed I'd last 20 lengths. I went past 20, then 30, then 40. At 50 I stopped, not because I really had to, put because I started to think it was a bit silly and I might knacker myself out for tomorrow morning's Bike and Run session (which is, apart from the full triathlon, the toughest of my sessions). 50 lengths, what was I doing? Non stop. Crawl!


I thought I'd throw in another 10 of breaststroke so that I'd completed a full 1,500m. I'm tired this evening and completely incredulous that I did what I did.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Moose, you're only incredulous? I'm utterly exhausted just reading your blog! You have turned into Superman and good for you!

Very interesting about your short story and the fact that you really have to get into the mind and heart of a rapist and murderer - I would think that would be exhausting in itself. You are sounding as though you have really turned the corner from how you were feeling a week or so ago and that's just great.

I will be absent for the rest of today - Mr S and I are attending the funeral of one of our friends' mum. She had been ill for quite a long time and apparently she just fell asleep and passed away, so our friend is very grateful for that.

Hope everyone is o.k. Have a good day and I'll see you tomorrow.

C xx

Amanda - hope you are alright after your trip to the dreaded dentist last week! We'll catch up tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Moose, one word phew!

Apologies, I wouldn't usually hijack someone else's website with this type of request but .........

The Breast Cancer site is having trouble getting enough people to click on their site daily to meet their quota of donating at least one free mammogram a day to an underprivileged woman. It takes less than a minute to go to their site and click on 'donating a mammogram' for free (pink window in the middle).
This doesn't cost you a thing. Their corporate sponsors / advertisers use the number of daily visits to donate mammograms in exchange for advertising.


Here's the web site! Pass it along to people you know.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/


Many thanks,

DD out

Anonymous said...

Moose - good grief man! I'm planning on having a lie down once I've finished typing this - just reading about your yesterday has finished me off! Well done you though. I admire your stamina and industry.

DD - I'll check out the breast cancer site before I go for my lie down ...

Hello to anyone else out there. Back later as my lunch partner has stood me up today and I don't fancy sitting in a corner of the canteen on my own like Nobby No-mates.

lyndyloo said...

Hi Peeps!

Moose!!! You have been a busy boy! I'm quite exhausted reading your exploits and there was me thinking I'd done well with an hour of salsa class and a bit of a free dance afterwards... now I feel like a complete amateur! :)) Well done you!

The thought of having to have to think like a murderer and a rapist made me go quite cold. I don't envy you the task but I suppose it's what all good character actors have to do as well as writers of fiction. Good luck with the story. Will you let us see it when it's done?

I'm off tomorrow so you'll have to excuse my absence. Can't wait to see my friend Yvette though. She runs courses in flirting and is very good at what she does. I've watched men melt in front of her on many occasions. Maybe I cna get some pointers from her.

Have fun bloggeroonies and I'll catch up with you all soon.

Luv
Lyndyloo
& the Bears
-x-x-x-

yanmaneee said...

kyrie 5 shoes
yeezys
cheap jordans
kyrie irving shoes
christian louboutin
goyard handbags
fitflops sale clearance
jordan shoes
nike air max
balenciaga shoes