Thursday 18 January 2007

The day after the (non-existent) night before...

Today I'm in reflective mood.
I have slept on my feelings of yesterday and come to a decision about what I need to do about them.
I am going to be more focused and disciplined about blogging. Where I say what is the main point.
So for clarity, OAMC stuff will appear on my OAMC blog and I will try to keep it off the Chris Evans blog and this one. This one is for my general musings. On the CE blog I will restrict myself to the matters that Chris raises and only those.
I have observed others that do this and it seems to work. Me not doing it only seems to cause trouble.
Please, please, please do as you see fit. Read any you like. Comment where you like. Comment however you like. Don't read and don't comment if that's what you'd prefer.

So, a quick work update (thanks to those of you that have expressed interest and support - it means a lot to me).
I am meeting the HR lady on Monday to have the first discussion on the details of my leaving agreement - notice, payments, conditions etc. I am not relishing the thought, because I am more convinced than ever that it is a sad state of affairs that brings me to this position, and also the manner in which it has been handled. To illustrate this, my boss was even changing his mind during Wednesday afternoon about how he was going to handle it. He decided on his course of action, it seemed, "on the hoof" in our meeting. How special does that make me feel? How important does that put me and my career in his eyes? (Never forget that "career" means to swerve violently out of control.)

Quick bee in the bonnet aside...I am not surprised by any of this. If I was, I wouldn't be writing my second book on big companies and what's wrong with them. This is not exclusive, even if extremely demonstrated, in my company. It is common in many big companies across the globe. One of the most worrying ideas for me is that we (us and the US) have exported our business approach and our management non-thinking. India and China (and others) are, not surprisingly, trying to compete, and in doing so look to us for a lead on how to be successful. If they see something that "works", they will copy it and replicate it faster and cheaper. I fear that the things that are wrong in big British and American companies will be even more extremely wrong in the big global players of the next 20 years.

OK back to the work situation...However, I am now engaged in a course of action that has to be seen through to the end. And I am determined to carry it through in a dignified, principled, honest and professional manner. They can handle it as they choose. But I need not to be swayed from my path.

Your feelings are always true. Don't ever let anyone deny you them. They are there to tell you what state your mind is in. If they are telling you that you are not in the right state of mind for a decision or action, then get your mind in the right state of willingness before you decide what to do or try to do anything.

Nobody ever said on their deathbed: "I wish I'd gone against my principles more often"

5 comments:

Jo said...

Morning Moose :o)

I don't know how you keep 3 things going at once,the CE Blog, This one and the OAMC one. I would get cunfuzzled!

Good Luck with the whole work situation type thingy :o)

Jo

Anonymous said...

Moose, you are truly a gent methinks.

I must agree with you on the big business, corporate world. 4 years ago i left that sector to come and work in the arts and it is the best move i ever made. Not without its problems of course, but if you are working in the arts it is because you are passionate about what you are doing, that alone results in a very different approach to business.

Since i started working in this sector i am happier, more fulfilled and always trust my instinct. What to the corporate sector appears to be a very 'girly' way of doing business (somebody has said that to me!!) has done me a lot of favours in and out of work.
Its the future..... a bit like garlic bread.

xx

Anonymous said...

hi moose

i hope you saw my post (last night) thanking you - and my other post that supported the OAMC

Anonymous said...

...both of them were on Chris' pages

Moose said...

Guys,
Check my profile for an update including an e-mail address. I can feel the potential for the beginning of the end and would hate to disappear in an anonymous haze.
Send me a mail if you want to stay in touch...