Monday 22 January 2007

Jabba the Hutt

I thought with all the talk about beach huts, I would upload a photo of some taken on Saturday. I have other photos but don't have a cable so can only e-mail one at a time from my phone, so I picked this one at random.
I like the thought of beach huts. I don't think I'd like the reality of them. This could be because I'd have to be responsible for it. But I think that some things are just better as an idea than in reality.
Beach huts are there to be admired when walking along the beach. If I lived in St Ives and needed a regular changing spot for going surfing, then it might be different.
Unfortunately, I don't yet.
Maybe by the time I live in Cornwall, I will have learned to take responsibility and then I'll be OK about taking on a beach hut.
Mine will be blue, with green and red stripes. Green and red are the mooselets favourite colours. Very tricky when the six nations is on, as I can never seem to make them support England - they always want Wales or Ireland to win.
I just hope that by the time I live in Cornwall, I'm still young and "fit" enough to surf...

So today was a day of false dawns.
My meeting with the HR lady was cancelled as she was off sick (now tomorrow).
My paper was bumped from the board meeting agenda as too few of them were there (now next Monday).
My one little commitment that I'm trying to keep for church was stumped by a company not returning my e-mail yet (will call them tomorrow).
One other commitment I failed to do anything about. Tomorrow is another day. Truth is, I'm sort of stuck until I've had the HR meeting.

I'm going to get more disciplined with the blogging. I'm thinking of moving my entries on here, and my reading of your comments to the evening. I can blog while sitting in front of the TV, a time I normally do nothing else. (Panorama then Waking the Dead on as I write this). So I think that's synergistic. I'm going to log in to CE once in the morning, posting a reply to CE musings. Then log on again once in the afternoon to check comments and catch up.
I doubt I'll keep it. I'm not sure whether to commit to myself to do it. At the moment it doesn't seem to matter too much as I have so little to do.
But once I have sorted out my agreement, I intend to put all my spare time at work openly into my book. I'm going to agree with HR/Boss that I will be available for work, but also doing my stuff while they continue to pay me but during notice.

Thanks for all your comments on my responsibility issue.
My conclusions are:
- I am not alone
- I am not that unusual
- It affects a lot of (especially) males
- I can do something about it
- I want to do something about it
- I choose to do something about it
- The key is in managing my motivational state well
- I can help others to make progress on the issue too

I have to go and look up some papers now to look something up for as66!!! A little extra commitment I made today!

I don't know about you, but I don't feel down or depressed at all today. I don't know what they are talking about!!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you dont feel down, and hope that the feedback was useful. On the flip side, and for a change i think i do feel a bit down. I say i think cos at the moment i cant decide if its down/drunk/knackered.

For the last few weeks i have felt permanently tired and emotionally drained. I would love to go away from everywhere and everyone for the next two days whilst i sleep and regain myself.

Its not like i dont get time to myself, i do. Its not like i have to do everything around the house without support from him in doors, i dont. And its not like work is not good, its great. But im tired.

Glad that you are trying to instill some discipline in your life. i should take heade. (i know i know, probably not spelt like that!) now where is my pillow/chocolate bar/glass of wine.

Anonymous said...

Morning moose,

I got your email thanks although I did not respond last night as it was rather late by the time I got home and I was more like the walking dead instead of watching the walking dead ;-(

Good luck today with the HR lady, I will be thinking of you!

I do not think you know just how close our lives are really. I read you ponderings and see so much of me and the conversations I have with Mrs B.

I did attend a VSO presentation last Wednesday and am considering taking three months out and do something good in Africa, if I can help. I last did it in 1994 for four months and I think this crossroads I am reaching in my life I may need the reality jolt that it gave me the first time around to put my feet firmly back on the floor and appreciate fully just what I already have.

Keep up the ramblings

Keith (The BigUN)

Anonymous said...

good luck for today moose!
fingers, legs and eyes crossed.

Anonymous said...

Moose

sorry for really short post - would like to respond to your blog - laters I hope. Not to worry, it won't be one of my long ones : )

Busy one today - off to work!!

Keith - hello : ) : )
thank you for the lovely comments you made at the end of friday's thread.

Ladies all - hope to catch up with you soon.

Mine's a glass of red

Gaby
xx

Anonymous said...

Keith - nice to see another boy over here : ) on this side , aka Moose's harem.

Gabs
x

Anonymous said...

once you stop, you just can't stop.......wish I could blog all day (those were the days : ))

have a good one you lovely people.

xxxx

ps Keith - there is something on the telly/radio about James Brown (tonight), sorry can't remember which. I may have dreamt it , but unlikely as I am not sleeping.
x

Anonymous said...

sorry, should have read 'once you start/pop....'

Gaby
Founder of the Wide Awake Club

Anonymous said...

Hi Moose, and all

This new blog is very, very interesting! I wish I were eloquent enough to really add something, but can I just say re: responsibility, etc - we can only do what we can do. We cannot entirely change who we are, but for sure we can make a better effort. I take responsibility for what seems just about everything but in all honesty my husband deals with a whole lot of crap that I don't. In the main, it is a partnership but if I am looking for my husband to really take responsibility, I will wait for ever. It frightens the life out of him and I accept that. Equally though, paperwork and phone calls to fend off the baliffs are his department as he knows I really can't cope with everything. It's a tough call, isn't it?!

Can I please just say to Anna - I really do identify with how you feel. Am I right - you have a wee three year old? I am sure you are exhausted - at times it really all gets to be too much. I know this may not be possible, but is there any way you can get away, even just for one night? On your own, I mean. Would your partner understand? When my daughter was three (she's nearly 16) I was shattered. I discussed it with my husband and he really understood. I stayed overnight at a Travel Inn in Glasgow. Just stayed in the room, had a bath, read my book and slept. (I took a picnic with me, including a bottle of wine!!) Honestly, I can't tell you how good I felt the next day. I went home about 4pm - just 24 hours to myself and I still remember it!!

C xx

Anonymous said...

ChrissieS, thank you for the suggestion, him in doors would definately understand if i suggested it - would probably book the hotel for me. Bless 'im.
The man cub is 18mths old and i suppose i feel guilty for feeling this way cos i work full time and the time i do have with him is precious.

sorry Moose, not wanting to use your site as my own personal agony system. just posted what i was feeling, am feeling better this morning but will take your suggestion Chrissie.
xx

Anonymous said...

Good morning and thank you Moose for your advice yesterday. I will follow up as soon as time allows.

I love beach huts - my bathroom is decked out as a blue and yellow beach hut. We went to a place in Victoria, Australia called Sorrento which is all decked out like a Victorian beachut scene. It is lovely there.

I sympathise with you Anna. I have a 4 and 6 year old and work full time and sometimes I am so tired I cannot concentrate on what I am supposed to be doing (be it work or play!).

I would recommend you you to take a tonic (Bio-Strath Elixir - tastes horrible but does the trick for me) and get yourself tested for Diabetes (I think some chemists - Lloyds do free testing, otherwise GP).

Taking time out just for you is very important, particularly if you are feeling low. If you don't currently have regular time for yourself, start something. Somewhere that will allow you to forget the stress of everyday life and enable you to relax (even if it is something energetic).

Back to Moose - heartfelt good luck vibes coming your way - hope everything works out the way you want it to.

Better do some work now!

AS66 x

Moose said...

Morning all,
Just to say how much you need time for you Anna. Remember that even as a full-time working mum, you need to sharpen the saw as well as cut down trees, otherwise the saw will go blunt...and that will be no good to you or your husband or the mancub.
Boy I do like Stephen Covey! Can make you sick at times but the principles are just so good...

Moose said...

We've had the age of the "Superwoman" balancing home-making, money-making and chil-making (and a whole lot more).
I think it's time to call for the resurgence of.....
SUPERMAN!
He cooks, he cleans, he mows the lawn, he earns loads of dosh, he looks after the kids, he's a great lover, he does the washing, he blogs, he organizes, he changes nappies, he even puts the seat down.
He's a real man!

I'm aiming first for my own slightly different version...
SUPERMOOSE!

Anonymous said...

Hazel Love {{{{hug}}}}

AS66 x