Wednesday 14 November 2007

Follow up on coaching...

Doh!

I realised today that publicly saying what sounds like 'I need some help!' might not be the wisest thing to ask people to do...

So, to bring in some reality, here's a little about coaching.

Coaching is not therapy. Therapy deals with (among other things), the past, root causes, dysfunction and, generally, problems.

Coaching deals more with opportunity. It is always forward looking (when done well), briefly pausing at the present to make sure the differences between the 'Here and now' and the 'There and then' (sorry for the jargon) are properly understood, before launching into a bright new future.

You will not find out anything about yourself you don't already know. You will choose whether to face up to what you already know, not the coach. If you don't want to in a particular area, move on to something else or stop the coaching. You are in control of the coaching relationship and you can always say stop. Your coach may challenge you on that (wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't), but will sensitively back off when appropriate.

You can work on anything you like, from health and fitness, relationships, work and business etc etc etc. Entirely up to you. If there are areas you don't want to touch on, just make it clear at the start.

Above all else, the result should be clarity rather than new discovery. This clarity will help you to focus on what's really important to you and cut the rest of the crap...

Thanks Lyndyloo for offering! I'll e-mail you to set something up...

Anyone else, I suggest that you contact me privately via e-mail (the real one if you've got it. If not, use the one attached to this ere blog and I'll send you the real one...)

Just to be clear though, there is nothing to be ashamed of. I have had lots of coaching myself and wouldn't be offering it if it were not powerful and productive. Lots of business leaders and entrepreneurs have coaches. Many of them don't talk about it publicly either. The most important things are only to do it if you're ready, don't let anyone talk you into it, and tell everyone or no-one, exactly as you see fit. It's nobody's business but your own.

I might just steal some of this from myself for my marketing pitch...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moose, someone who needs your assistance!

I'm told he was practicing for a Raleigh, and he's hoping for a Good Year from January


http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7095134.stm

DD out

lyndyloo said...

Hi Moose

I think your pitch is absolutely spot on! Very professional if I may say so. I've done some coaching stuff and obviously the NLP and hypnotherapy but to coach yourself as you know if pretty un-realistic so all the help I can get is appreciated.

I'm sure that you'll find some volunteers and all the practice you can get will be good for you so I'll look forward to hearing from you.

To everyone else..... "WHERE ARE YOU ALL?!!!!"

Luv
Lyndyloo
& Booboo
-x-x-

Moose said...

Lyndyloo,
You will forever be my Client Number 1!!! I have just signed up Client number 2 today as well.

DD - As a professional coach, I would have to refer the chap concerned for therapy! Specialized therapy? Giant therapy?

Hallooooo...hallooo...halloooooooooo

Anonymous said...

Sorry I wsn't here earlier - things to do and people to see I'm afraid. And now I've only just stopped larfing at DD's link. WHAT was that man thinking of? How drunk do you have to be?????

Good luck with the coaching Moose. Don't think I'll be signing up just yet, but will bear you in mind for the future.

Anonymous said...

I am here - just about!

Having a hectic week this week, can't believe it is Thursday already.

DD - Some people do silly things don't they?

Analog - hope your ears are doing ok in the cold

Chrissie - Are you ok? You are being very quiet today......

Hazel - Hope the back is soon better.

Got this sent on e-mail today and wondered if any of you had the amswer to it?!!!

One day God was looking down at earth and saw all of the rascally behaviour that was going on. So he called one of his angels and sent the angel to earth for a time.
When he returned, he told God, "Yes, it is bad on Earth; 95% are misbehaving and only 5% are not."

God thought for a moment and said, "Maybe I had better send down a second angel to get another opinion."

So God called another angel and sent him to earth for a time also.
When this angel returned he went to God and said, "Yes, it's true. The earth is in decline; 95% are misbehaving, but 5% are being good."

God was not pleased.

So he decided to email the 5% who were good, because he wanted to encourage them, give them a little something to help them keep going.


"Do you know what the email said?"



No?



Okay, just wondering. I didn't get one either...

A x

Anonymous said...

Hiya:

DD - I absolutely fell about laughing this morning at this story! The thing is - MrS has recently taken up cycling again - and on Sunday he disappeared for three hours! No ...... surely not!!!

Sorry for my absence (Amanda thanks for the mention) - today has been slightly crazy! I hate it when I actually have to work for a living!

Moose, I see that I sort of had the "wrong end of the stick". I have a feeling you will be an excellent coach and I'll probably live to regret not doing this!

Hope everyone else is o.k. Hazel - of course thinking of you - hope things are getting better.
Sammie - if you can, let us know how you are doing.

Lyndyloo - is today your mum's birthday? Best wishes to her - hope she's feeling better.

See you all in the a.m.

C xx